Friday, March 26, 2010

This is March Madness

I want to touch on today just how insane that Xavier vs. Kansas St game was last night.  Now, I'm not a man who is overly concern too much by Basketball.  I like the Raptor's, but I'm a casual fan. I am  a fan, but it's not like I live and die by their results, try to watch every game, or anything like that.  That's The Chud & Volume Control, they're the guys who care a lot.  But for me, Basketball is a sport I enjoy watching, try to follow with a moderate amount of effort, and for the most part, probably about 2nd or 3rd on my list of sports to watch.  But last night, regaling in the beauty of my new 47" HD TV, I sat down to watch a game of March Madness. Now, if I don't care too much about the NBA, College basketball doesn't mean a lick to me. But last night I witnessed maybe one of the best games of basketball I have ever seen. Ever.  It wasn't a game of outstanding skill, it never can be in College Basketball. But it was a game of true Sports Passion.

These kids playing aren't pros. They're college kids who love the game, who are trying to fight the realization that they exist in a vast majority of other college sports players who have no future in their sport.  This isn't about a bigger paycheque next year in the league, about sponsorships, any of that. This was about writing yourself into history.  Those kids, they don't know what happens tomorrow, but what they do know, something they have over the rest of us, is that they are taking their SHOT.  Not a lot of people know when their shining moment in their lives is. Those kids, they're in it. They know it. They're fighting to keep it going and to make it better, and more memorable to themselves fr the rest of their lives.  It's the old sports cliche that you hear in movies, about how there isn't a tomorrow, there's just the game now.  That game last night folks, those kids were in it. Those kids watched it, they bled for it, they worked their butts off. Amazing.  I was up for an hour after the game, just from the adrenaline of watching them all put it on the line.  That is what sports are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment